Friday, June 06, 2008

Welcome Newbies!

Hi everybody. I have a friend that contributes to The Huffington Post and recently I lent her some of my knowledge regarding what's been happening in this here country over these recent soul-crushing Bush years. In appreciation, she's thrown me a little love at the end of her latest piece. I don't know if anyone is actually going to read that itty bitty type and click the link, but if you did, hey there. Welcome. And a welcome to anyone else who has stumbled upon me for the first time by using the magic of the Google.

Anyway, since this blog lacks one of those fancy-pants "About" sections, I thought I'd use this post to do a little 'splaining. Every night I watch Anderson Cooper 360 and then I recap and review the show, a process I explain much more in depth in my very first post. You can also get a better taste of my blog flavor by reading my one year anniversary post, if you're so inclined.

If you've perused a few posts under this one, I know what you're thinking: 'Eliza, (that's me by the way) these posts don't really resemble media criticism and some of them are irrelevant and/or fanny.' Well, you would be right. See, thing is, I had this little incident a few weeks ago where I almost died (which I totally don't recommend, by the way), so I've kind of taken a little recuperative hiatus where I'm sticking with quick and easy posts. Please feel free to check out my archives to see what I'm normally about.

As for whether or not this is a fan blog, I'll state for the record that I am a fan of the show and I'm a huge fan of Anderson Cooper (c'mon who isn't these days?). But that doesn't mean I can't be objective about news content and give a ripping when deserved, such as when CNN became the Paris Hilton Network for a day. I think some of my readers might actually like my harshest posts the best.

So look around, make yourself at home, and grab a beverage (but please use a coaster). If you like what you see, I hope you won't be a stranger. In regards to tonight's show, raise your hand if you laughed your butt off when it was revealed that Obama and Clinton weren't even in the house the media was so aggressively staking out? You gotta love the press and their tendency for bouts of retardedness. Hey, at least Tom Foreman got to (sort of) stake out people that are making history. Meanwhile, Drew Griffin looks back bitterly at his time outside the residence of a prostitute. Ah, . . . ratings.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too cracked up when they were stalking Clinton/Obama in the bushes outside Hil's home when the whole time they were at Di-Fi's house!! Fox tried to put out a statement that they didn't have anything to do with the "Hobama" hunt, but that's so not true!!

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eliza, can you predict who's going to become the President in November? Obama or McCain?
My intution says America will elect McCain as its President.

I don't understand why Americans are so orthodox when it comes to Presidential elections. Why cant they elect a women to the White House?. Why this gender bias.

I think India is far better in gender equality in politics. And it has more vibrant demeocracy. What do you say Eliza

11:11 AM  
Blogger eliza said...

@Sam--Hilarious, wasn't it? I remember one night during the Imus scandal, Imus was meeting with the members of that basketball team and 360 literally had their camera trained on the door for like half the show. You have to wonder who the hell makes those decisions.

@anonymous--Hm. Well, it's your lucky day. I'm not a pundit...but I do play one on my blog. Hee. In all seriousness, it's Obama's to lose. The American people are clearly running away from the republicans and anything that smacks of George W. Bush. McCain is lockstep with Dubya on many policies. I think (hope) barring any October surprises we'll be inaugurating president Obama come January.

Why cant they elect a women to the White House?. Why this gender bias.

Well, I suppose if the primary had gone the other way, someone could just as easily ask: Why can't they elect an African American to the White House? Why this racial bias?

Yes, there was some sexism in the primary, but Clinton lost because her message was all over the place and she had a poorly managed campaign.

I agree that many in the rest of the world have progressed a lot more than the US in terms of gender equality, though I can't speak to India. I know a portion of the country is taking advantage of all that globalization has to offer, but isn't a significant percentage of the country living in horrible poverty?

2:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you Eliza. Almost 50 per cent of the Indian population are in poverty if you measure in developed country parameters. The problems lie in the bureaucratic system. In America whatever one spends trickle down to the bottom layer of the chain. In India this doesn't happen. The money doesn't trickle down to the poorest of the poor. Only the middle class is benefitting from the globalisation and various subsidies.

India needs to reform its bureaucratic system. It will take ages to eradicate poverty.

Obama seems to be a good orator and intelligent too. America needs a person like him to save their country from looming economic crises.

The sub-prime could have been avoided if the banks applied a little common sense. They should have verified the repaying capacity of a person before sanctioning the loan. I am glad that the greedy banks learned a lesson or two from this crisis.

7:59 AM  
Blogger eliza said...

@anonymous 7:59 AM--The Reagan era-coined "trickle down economics" is nothing but a myth. It doesn't exist here either. In fact, right now we have a disappearing middle class because as the rich get richer, everyone else is getting poorer. The money does not trickle down, it trickles up.

I disagree that the banks learned a lesson from the sub prime mortgage mess. The only thing they learned is that when they get greedy and screw up, the government will bail them out. Meanwhile, the little guy is left to fend for himself.

2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The other day I happened to attend a group discussion with one of IMF's chief economist. He said Fed had to bail out Bear Stearns to send the right signal about capitalism to the developing countries. Otherwise they would think that Capitalism is collapsing it's better to stick to their age old economic policies.

Even in all developing countries the gap between richer and poor is getting widened. Richer is getting more and more richer and the poor is getting poorer. Rising inflation is almost suffocating to the poor men.

In India almost 70 per cent of the population is depended on agriculture. If the government policies focus only on market economy it will be suicidal for them.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com