Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Um, Yeah . . .

Hi everyone. So, today Anderson Cooper drummed up some of that righteous anger we all know and love and took to the 360 blog to decry the abhorrent situation in Zimbabwe right now. "Enough is enough," he said. Yeah! Right on! You tell 'em, Anderson! Wouldn't it be awesome if he had some sort of visual platform in which to further espouse and flesh out the details of Mugabe's democracy-hating to an even larger audience of people? Oh, wait.

But no, there was no Zimbabwe coverage in the broadcast tonight. Instead we got Ralph Nader being an ass (because that's new), a murdered pregnant woman who happened to have been a soldier, discussion of whether McCain is really McSame, illegal antics of a celebrity boyfriend--scratch that--celebrity ex boyfriend, and rogue pharmacies. Okay, maybe I'll give them that last one. But seriously, were any of those stories more important than Zimbabwe? Or Iraq? Or Afghanistan? Or FISA? I won't bore you by going on and on. You get the picture. And while I'm being all Bloggy McGrumpy-Pants, the AC360 Radar blog posts should really be called, "Stuff That's Important That We're Totally Not Going To Cover."

I'll leave you with some randomness: Damn, Anderson really hates those t-shirts.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I am very disappointed too. I remember AC mentioning on the live blog that his show covers the most international news. I don't think that is true anymore. And this is really unfortunate because they were so good at reporting international news, and you could see they were passionate about it.

While I have been enjoying 360 a lot lately(I could be an exception here--but I like politics), I think that 360 needs to find a balance between domestic news and international news. AC and the 360 team are so good at reporting from the field (overseas). I remember their excellent reports from Turkey, and the various war zones. This is is what I miss and I hope they will start taking that seriously.--Patty

7:46 AM  
Blogger eliza said...

Patty, it might still be true of cable news (although some of CNN's other shows might be beating them at this point), but I think the networks cover more international news than 360 and their broadcasts are shorter. 360 has also apparently completely given up on a lot of domestic issues too--like the recent Supreme Court rulings and FISA fight.

I like politics too, but only when the coverage is about a substantial issue. 360 is much too controversy focused, to the point of trying to create it themselves.

Yeah, I remember all that reporting too. We've barely even had any Iraq coverage in ages.

1:45 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Amen Eliza and Patty! I too have been terribly disappointed in 360 for several weeks. I can't even get through a full show anymore. I actually tuned in to Brian Williams last week and was impressed with how much he squeezed in to 30 minutes. Now, why can't Anderson do that? He's got a full hour- or two technically.

He's such a fine reporter, but his talent is not being shown. With all that's going on in Africa, you'd think he'd be all over that. But no! Where's the full 360 view we're supposed to be getting? He's in danger of becoming just another blow-dried anchor. The show has had peaks and valleys before, but I may not last until the election is over. Other shows are doing a better job with their news coverage. I never thought I'd say that!

2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com