Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Little On The Show, A Little On The Blog, And A Little On Me

Hi everybody. It's a new week! Can you feel the excitement? Yeah, me neither. Actually I think many in the Midwest would like this week to be over and probably a lot of the weeks to come. The flooding is so sad and the fact that it's coming at a time when the economy totally sucks anyway is even more devastating. It was good to see Gary Tuchman not up to his, uh, nipples (tee hee) in water tonight. Because that water is nasty. And here I thought it was only Anderson we had to worry about. (Remember how he just had to touch everything during Katrina?)

Gary actually seems to be slowly making his way to my neck of the woods. Normally I'd love a Gary visit, but since he's sorta traveling with the flooding, uh, people around here would prefer he not have to come any closer. Although as I said before, I live far enough away from the river that I don't have to worry. I'm crossing my fingers for everybody else. Clean up is going to be a bitch. I remember about a year or two after the 93 flood I went to a few stores that had been underwater and you could still sort of smell that moldy waterlogged smell. I don't know if it ever goes away.

Oh, and yeah, I happened to catch Anderson say "Missourah." My regular readers know I hate that, but actually, I think this instance was just a verbal stumble, so I shall let it go. You got off easy this time Cooper, but I'm watching you. Or, er, listening to you. Whatever. Just live in fear, okay?

I really appreciate that the show has finally FINALLY decided to cut back a bit on the political coverage and acknowledge that there are actually other things happening. That being said, stories like tonight's Charlie Black brouhaha just make me want to hit my head against the wall. Okay, do we honestly think this stuff isn't being said all the time? Black just made the mistake of saying it out loud. Of course it's disgusting to think about the notion of benefiting from a terrorist attack, but this is kind of the republican's thing. I mean, this is the party that in 2004 pretty much said "vote for us or die." They campaign on fear and do what they can to convince the public that they're the ones to turn to in a terrorism-related crisis. (Not to be confused with a hurricane-related crisis, apparently.) So, if God forbid there really was another attack, would the public once again rally around our incompetent leaders or would they finally realize the ones promising to keep us safe all this time have done nothing to keep that promise? I hope we never have to find out the answer to that.

Don Imus again? Seriously? Let's not and say we did.

Finally, it seems that in one Massachusetts school, teenagers are popping out babies left and right. Was it a pact? Who knows? But it makes a better story, doesn't it? This invariably brings us to the never-solved debate of abstinence versus sex education. So tonight we had a representative from Planned Parenthood and Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council. Gee, I wonder what sides they're going to take?! Look, I'm all for abstinence education and I'd even be down with abstinence only education if it worked. But it doesn't. And research has shown that time and time again. Tony needs to come join the rest of us in reality, a place where kids have sex, even when they promise not to.

The show was okay, though I would have preferred some more hard news. I'm not even sure if 360 does that anymore. We are still fighting those wars, right?

Anyhoo, has everybody checked out the blog? They've been snazzin it up lately (Oooh! Ahhh!). There's even a prize now for winning "Beat 360," which might just motivate me to play. No, wait, still need more motivation. And then today they started something called "TV Talk." I don't know. Seems pretty gimmicky to me. Okay, yes, obviously the whole blog is a gimmick, but I guess we'll just have to see. Obviously I'd rather have a window into coverage decision-making instead of learning industry terms, though I guess beggars can't be choosers. As for the live-blog, I thought it'd be better when the primary ended and there wasn't so much bickering, but man, now the whole thing is so sycophantic. I rarely see a critical comment and 360 is by no means perfect.

And while I'm talking about the live-blog, Anderson's predictability is becoming amusing. I mean, swap the "good evening" for a "what's up?" every once and a while, you know? Especially if that's all he's going to say. I don't even know why they make him do it anyway. He's working. No time for chit chat. But they gotta keep up with Greta. Speaking of who, I hopped over to her site today and she has like a zillion threads that she herself supposedly posted. Even some on the weekends! I find this hard to believe. What do you want to bet it's some lowly producer posting half of that? I think this is perhaps a job for Drew Griffin and the Special Investigations Unit. I smell an Emmy.

To my readers who have been wondering how I'm doing, eh, I'm okay. I've been able to cut back on some of my treatment, but for right now I'm stuck with oxygen when performing any sort of activity, including walking. This of course sucks in many different ways. And my insurance denied respiratory therapy (doc is appealing), so, yeah, that's me right now. I'm almost back up to full time work, but other than that, life is very hermit-like right now. I've never smoked a day in my life, but to those of you that do, here's a little advice from someone with major lung problems: Stop. Now. Amy Winehouse is an idiot. Such a waste.

Finally, rest in peace, George Carlin. You were one smart and funny motherfucker.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually liked the first installment of TV Talk because I'm a sucker for ANY kind of behind the scenes stuff. I don't think they're going to give us much insight on how they go about determining what will make the show, but hey, they could surprise us and start giving out the trade secrets.

I'm not sure why Anderson's expected to post a lot on the live blog, maybe the subs and Erica have a little more time to do it, but apparently he doesn't. For a while he'd chime in with a defensive or maybe even lighthearted comment, but he barely does that now. The live blog has pretty much cemented into an "I SO agree with you!" lovefest between some of the posters, so it's no wonder Anderson might not want to waste the little bit of free time he has during the show on it - after the initial hello from him (if we even get that) he's essentially outta there.

Eliza, glad to hear you're doing a little better, but man, insurance companies SUCK.

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eliza: Glad to hear that you are doing better. I really enjoy your commentary. Please keep this wonderful blog going.

I really hope that AC will blog more. He is such a talented writer. His blogs are always well-written and witty. I really miss his Details columns.

Get well soon and take it easy!
Patty

9:10 PM  
Blogger eliza said...

@feedee--I'm a sucker for behind the scenes stuff too, but TV Talk seems overly gimmicky. Of course, I'm still going to read it, so there's that.

Call me twisted, but I actually love it when Anderson brings his defensive side to the live-blog. I don't know why. I guess maybe because it means someone actually posted criticism, which seems in short supply on the blog these days. Oh, the "I so agree with you!" posts need to go. Like, now. It's fine to agree with someone, but then you need to post your own thoughts too. Geez.

Insurance companies are teh evil.

@Patty--Thanks! I'm trying.

Yeah, I'd rather Anderson blog more often on the regular blog than do little comments on the live-blog. I can understand not having time during the show to blog, but I don't understand what the problem is during the day. Surely, he has at least 30 minutes down time to bang something out. I don't think anyone is expecting perfection.

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com