Monday, September 03, 2007

He Can't Recall

Hi everybody. Well, it being Labor Day and all, I assumed 360 wouldn't be doing much, so I rented "The Departed" (good movie, btw). Oops. I should have known that they'd surprise me with a live show and Anderson Cooper hosting to boot. Oh well. So, sorry, no review. I did catch the story on the "Jena 6" though, and was a bit surprised at our anchor's kind of obvious side-taking. Not saying I'm not with him on the side chosen, but still. (Go here to find out how to help the "Jena 6.")

Anyway, the title of this post actually doesn't refer to Gonzales, but to an outrage-inducer that's making its way around the Internets regarding our lovely president. When I read this I kind of wanted to break something, so I thought a special post was in order, before it fell down the memory hole. It seems Bush has been sitting down for some interviews with author Robert Draper for a soon-to-be-released book titled "Dead Certain." In a "New York Times" piece on the matter, we learn the following:

Mr. Bush acknowledged one major failing of the early occupation of Iraq when he said of disbanding the Saddam Hussein-era military, “The policy was to keep the army intact; didn’t happen.”

But when Mr. Draper pointed out that Mr. Bush’s former Iraq administrator, L. Paul Bremer III, had gone ahead and forced the army’s dissolution and then asked Mr. Bush how he reacted to that, Mr. Bush said, “Yeah, I can’t remember, I’m sure I said, ‘This is the policy, what happened?’ ” But, he added, “Again, Hadley’s got notes on all of this stuff,” referring to Stephen J. Hadley, his national security adviser.

He can't remember. One of the biggest blunders, if not the biggest blunder of the war, and the reasoning behind it has just slipped his mind. But he's got it down on notes somewhere, you see. UnFREAKINGbelievable. If your head is still unexploded, I'd like to end this post with a little tip for Bush: hey Mr. President, you know how we'll know that there's actual progress being made in Iraq? When you can go there for your photo-op without it having to be a surprise.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are times when you can tell
exactly
where Anderson stands even though he's mostly all about being objective and neutral. It was kind of obvious tonight, not that I disagreed with him.

*HEAD EXPLODES*

The level of incompetence and sheer gall of Bush is astounding and through his ignorance and appalling indifference about the war he has waged, thousands of men and women have died needlessly. Just when you think he can't sicken or shock you anymore, something else even more disturbing surfaces to prove you wrong.

The Departed. AC said he watched it over and over. I saw some of it and was struck by all the shooting of this one and that one and the other one and the next one and the one you didn't even expect to be shot!

1:29 AM  
Blogger eliza said...

@anonymous-Well, I can see this post is going to make things messy around here, what with the exploding heads and all. I can't even come up with a word that adequately defines how I feel about Bush. They're going to have to make up a new one. Hey, maybe that'll be his legacy.

Yes, I agree that when it comes to certain issues, Anderson totally gives himself away. But he's only human and I don't really believe it's possible to be a complete blank slate anyway.

I didn't know Anderson had raved about "The Departed." Yeah, lots of violence, but I'm cool with it. Give me a shoot-em-up over a chick flick any day.

1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com