Tuesday, February 20, 2007

More Amazon, Pakistan Talk, Incarcerated Young Black Men, A Sloth Mishap, A Child Soldier, And More Britney (Monday's Second Hour)

Hi guys. We kick off the hour with Anderson and he rehashes a lot of stuff we already know from last hour before throwing it to a repeat taped clip. When we come back, Kiran asks what the punishment is for people caught in the raids. Anderson replies that there are fines and they confiscate their equipment, but really, the guys they're catching are low level. What they're trying to do is move up the ladder to get to the big fish. Kiran also wonders how the Brazilian government balances the economy with preserving the rainforest. Anderson says that there are a lot of good laws on paper, but not enough enforcement. Hey, isn't Brazil basically energy independent due to sugarcane? You'd think they'd mention that.

Next up we've got a taped interview Kiran did with Nic Robertson on the Pakistan situation. Nic tells us that al Qaeda has been able to set of camps there because the Pakistan government really doesn't have control over the whole country. Also Pakistani intelligence has been turning a blind eye to the situation and sometimes even helping al Qaeda. But they're our friends, so it's okay. Don't think about it too hard. Kiran asks if there's any push back from Afghanistan and Nic replies that there's lots of tension between the two countries. They're basically like two bickering siblings. Two bickering siblings with weapons. After this we've got Michael Ware live again, but it's basically all rehash from last hour. Then there's a repeat of the Dan Simon piece.

Moving on to a Kiran interview with Documentary Filmmaker Shola Lynch, who is going to show us a bit of her film "Incarcerated," about young black men. In the film we meet two teens: one doing time for a carjacking and the other for shooting someone. Basically the thesis of this piece is that these kids aren't hardened criminals, they're just boys who never got the structure and educated needed to make it in the real world. Ironically, prison is now providing just that for the teens we meet. Shola stresses that we need to focus more on prevention because some of these kids are on a track for prison rather than college. Okay, I can agree with all of this, but why doesn't anyone ever investigate the ever growing prison industrial complex. There are people who are making big time money off these kids (and adults) and actually want them there.

Transitioning back to an Anderson and Jeff clip where they attempt to liberate the sloth into a tree. I know a lot of people think it's so cute, but it's kind of creeping me out the way it crawls so slowly. Anyway, this was suppose to be a cool moment, but suddenly we hear a crack and...the sloth falls about 20 feet to the ground. Oh noes! The looks on Anderson and Jeff's faces are pretty funny. They're so shocked! And I swear Jeff almost said, "s***." But fear not readers, the sloth is okay. Jeff picks him up and gives him a good talking to. No, really. He lectures, "So you've learned your lesson. It's the first lesson you've learned. Now, remember, don't be like that joke. We don't want that joke, why did the sloth fall out of the tree? You know?" The sloth has no comment, so they just put him in another tree. Crazy sloth.

Next up we have a Randi Kaye interview with Ishmael Beah a former Sierra Leone child soldier and author of "A Long Way Gone". I like this guy. He was on The Daily Show last week and actually since they're in repeats this week you might be able to catch him. In 1993 when Ismael was 12, his village was attacked and his entire family was killed. The attack was brutal. Ismael says the rivers filled with blood and parents were running around carrying their dead kids. Since he had no one, government soldiers provided him with food, protection,...and a gun. They also forced him to use drugs and told him he was fighting to avenge his family. If he didn't join up with them he would have been killed by rebels, who he ended up fighting for more than two years. In 1995 he was handpicked by Unicef for rehab and in 1998 he was able to escape the country, eventually making it to the US. Once in the US he was adopted by one of his former aid workers. He even went on to college. It really is an awesome story. 360 should to a follow up about the situation in Sierra Leone now.

We end the hour with a Jeanne Moos piece on Britney Spears. Meh. Don't have Dr. Drew on and treat it all serious, only to give it the jokey treatment later. Pick a side, CNN. John's face afterward was funny though. That'll do it.

Screencaps by cskitten.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard Jeff say that too. I think he actually said it and they bleeped him out. I was like, DUDE IT FELL OUTTA THE TREE AND ALMOST LANDED ON ANDERSON'S HEAD! Of course, that would have been better for the poor sloth than to land how it did. And yeah it was sorta creepy how slow it moved. I guess that's why they call it... a sloth.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Lori Archibald said...

I loved the segment with Ishmael Beah. I also saw him on the Daily Show and wondered how long it would be before he was on 360. I can't wait to read his book! I also really liked the Incarcerated segment.

I lost my remote and cannot turn the channel. I'm in Lifetime Movie hell right now. I can't take much more of this so I'm turning off the tv and curling up with a good book.

Hope the show is good tonight. Looking forward to reading your always informative and snarky recap.

Actually I end up getting more information from your review then when I watch the show. Sometimes I'll be reading your review and I'll think...When did they say that or I don't even remember that being on the show.

I appreciate what you do on this blog.

10:53 PM  
Blogger eliza said...

@sharla-Oh good, so I'm not the only one that was creeped out.

@maddy-I'd love to get Ismael's book, but I swear to God I'm drowning in books! Someone seriously needs to put more hours in the day.

The Lifetime Channel! Oh you are in hell. Although it could be worse. You could have had it on Fox News for some reason. Can't you change it on the tv itself?

Actually I end up getting more information from your review then when I watch the show.

Yay me! Hee. And thank you. I actually learn more now that I do these reviews. Because let's face it, it's easy to get distracted by the pretty. :)

12:54 AM  
Blogger Lori Archibald said...

I think my DVR froze up or something. I hate missing both 360 and Countdown on the same night.

Did they have three anchors again tonight?

1:24 AM  
Blogger eliza said...

Yeah, they did and the weird thing was Kiran and John were both in the New York studio.

1:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To me, the "Incarcerated" segment was quickly covered and more time could have been spent on it to see more of the angles. I realize that a lot of young black men end up in prisons, etc. but crime is crime and their age or race should not be an excuse for committing it. Look at Ishmael, he's admitted what he did as a young boy and didn't use the fact that he was a youth as an excuse for his actions.

After watching both segments, I became more aware of the situations but wasn't quite sure I got the message on what could be done to prevent it from continuing to happen.

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually went looking for the sloth-falling-down video on YouTube, because I actually had my head turned right then (how mad was I?!).... however, it wasn't there. But, I got to watch Anderson overcome his fear of roaches.... that was pretty funny. Does anyone know when that originally aired?

3:48 PM  
Blogger eliza said...

Oh I never saw that. Can you post the link? I think it was sometime in 2004 maybe?

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The quality is sort of bad (AC's eyes look yellow instead of blue, even) but here is the link.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com