Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Lots of Snow, Anna Nicole, Anderson And Jeff Corwin In Brazil, And Michael Ware Calls BS (Tuesday's First Hour)

Hi guys! We're taking a field trip tonight. Anderson is coming at us from Araguaina, which is a town on the outskirts of the Amazon rainforest. I'm so excited! Here I am freezing my butt off in the snow and he gets to be in Brazil. Lucky bastard. Speaking of snow, after Anderson gives a little intro and then we're back in New York with John Roberts to talk about the winter weather causing havoc across the nation. I have to say that this blogger is so happy that today was one of her work at home days because oh my God. The mother called and said it took over two hours to get to work! It's nasty out there folks. Rob Marciano elaborates on this nastiness live from Cleveland. Then we're onto a Gary Tuchman piece on the preparations Syracuse is undergoing in anticipation of lots of snow. Apparently Syracuse gets the most snowfall of any other big city in the country. Gary's live after his piece and John says, "I'm looking at the scene behind you there, and I'm reminded of that scene out of 'Caddyshack,' where Bill Murray says, it looks like it's going to be a while before the heavy stuff comes down." Oh John. During all the weather stuff we also learn that New Orleans had a tornado and a woman living in a FEMA trailer was killed. Apparently we needed another reminder of the total unfairness of life.

Next up we're back to Anderson and he tells John that "it's surreal listening to Gary Tuchman and Rob Marciano talk about snow, because it is obviously very warm, very humid down here." Anderson I love you, but...shut up. Anderson then explains that over the next several months they're going to be traveling the globe (not all at once people) and looking at ways our planet is in peril. On this trip they're specifically looking at deforestation. He then gives us an encyclopedia summary of the rain forest, noting that 20% of the earth's oxygen comes from there and new species are being discovered all the time. Obviously we're not getting much tonight since they just got there, but I like what I'm hearing. Well, not the deforestation stuff. You know what I mean.

Transitioning now to a Randi Kaye piece on Anna Nicole. Still?! That's it. I'm not covering this crap anymore. After the piece we've got Jeff Toobin and Court TV's Lisa Bloom for more discussion. And why are they wasting Toobin on this stuff? Why aren't they using him to discuss the Libby trial again. Or the indictment of Dusty Foggo? If I remember correctly there might have been hookers involved in that one, so it's not like it doesn't have sensationalism. Just...please stop. The screencap is because Erica Hill needs a proper welcome back.

Next up we're back with Anderson and he's got Animal Planet's Jeff Corwin with him. They're both wearing tight black shirts. What are you doing to me here boys? Ahem, I'm okay now. Anderson asks Jeff why the Amazon is so important and Jeff replies that it's the center of our planet. He notes all the species that are currently making noise around them. "And frankly, it's creeping me out, but you kind of like it I know," Anderson says. Oh Anderson. But he's right that Jeff does like it. Very much. He's like a kid in a candy shop; he's so excited. Anderson then tells us that before Jeff was wrestling with an alligator and it got away. You'd think he's kidding, but I can tell he's totally not. What?! Oh, this is going to be a fun trip. Jeff tells us that over the past 40 years 20% of the rainforest has disappeared and one of the reasons it's so important is that 40% of our medicines are harvested from rainforest plants. Really? I guess I always thought they were harvested by Merck and Pfizer. Jeff also notes that the deforestation is contributing to global warming. Basically the place is under attack and that's not good. I guess we'll be learning a lot more in the coming days. The Shot tonight is a bear in a tree that gets tranqed and then falls in a net. Of course 360 then has to show the tranqed bear that bounces off the trampoline. I think that's getting a little played out because Keith Olbermann did the same damn thing.

On now to some Iraq/Iran news. White House officials are claiming that Muqtada al-Sadr has fled to Iran because he fears the coming surge of US troops. Now as soon as I heard this news I called BS because it doesn't make sense to me, but I guess you never know. However, if anyone can make this make sense it's Michael Ware and he's here to sort it all out for us. Michael tells us he doesn't know where al-Sadr is, but notes that it's not uncommon for White House officials to put out information that has no basis in the reality on the ground. "Yet again, on the law of averages, at some point Washington does have to get it right. " Bwah! Yep, at some point that drunk blind guy has to hit the bullseye. Michael talks about how al-Sadr has actually visited Iran lots before. He's a regional leader who travels. John then notes that it's not like he hasn't gone to Iran before. "That's what I'm saying!" Michael replies. Yeah, geez John. Pay attention. Heh. John asks how significant it would be if al-Sadr really did flee. Michael states that there would be political ripples, but ultimately it would mean nothing because he could still control things from Iran. After all, Bin Laden controls stuff from a cave. Anyway, Michael Ware is awesome. Enough said.

Finally tonight we have another update from Jeff Koinange on his Niger Delta piece. Jeff tells us that all 24 Filipino hostages have been released and they're in good health. Hooray! Way to go Jeff! Nigeria claims that no money was exchanged for them. John then asks Jeff about something one of the guys in the piece was wearing on his head. Jeff says it's called an amulet and it's a good luck charm that's suppose to ward off evil. And bullets from the Nigerian military. Yeah, good luck with that last one delta guys. The show would have been so good tonight...if not for Anna Nicole overkill. I think it took up about a fourth of the show, so B.

Do you think al-Sadr fled to Iran? Any rainforest thoughts?

Screencaps by jld1119 and bcfraggle.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Michael! He so called the whole scare of american troops a total BS. And poor guy looked like he was hardly functioning and in desperate need of sleep. He seemed a little better in the second hour -) He is amazing. I hope he finally gets some rest.

I hope Anderson will cover political and economical aspect of rainforest destruction, and not just national geographic kind of reports. I guess I won't hold my breath. Though I have to admit, Anderson and a frog totally cracked me up -)

4:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anderson creeped out by the bugs? Yeah, we thought that was funny. So was those two looking like twins. And Jeff was waving his arms all over the place it was pretty funny. I'm with Ivy on this one- I hope he goes over political and economical issues... I mean, we've all heard the parts about "they're tearing down a bazillion acres a day!!". I still don't see why it was necessary to send Anderson OUT there. Maybe he was bored. Like usual.

Iran? BS. Totally. Just an excuse to send people in there. The Shrub should just say "hey American, screw you! I'm gonna do whatever I wanna!"

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my. I went to bed and missed the second hour, and I heard all about the dumb frog, so, I went to read the transcripts. MAN, I am bummed I missed that. Anderson is afraid of FROGS?! Oh, the hilarity ensues....

11:11 AM  
Blogger eliza said...

Sharla it was hilarious. He jumped like a girl. Hee.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know, I've now watched it about six times while laughing my head off. I just commented over at Freakspeakers about them doctoring the transcripts again.... Anderson very clearly says to Jeff: "Is that a frog in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" and in the transcripts, they only show "is that a frog in your pocket?" Oh, man. Anderson is great comedy relief. First he's creeped out by the bugs, and then he screams and jumps like a girl when the frog appears :) Then Jeff sits there and plays with it and keeps waving it at poor Anderson who keeps backing up and then steps back to his mark, back andforth...lol.... that's great TV there....

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay to Ed Henry. The guy has a spine! And why do I have to see this out on internet and not on 360? Instead of Anna Nicole.

Check out Thnk Progress. First, a heated exchange with Tony Snow at yesterday's White House briefing. Snow told Ed to "calm down" when he asked about contradictions in iranian weapons story. And today Ed challenged the decider. I hope this one they'll cover today.

3:52 PM  
Blogger eliza said...

@ivy-actually they included some Ed clips in Jamie McIntyres's piece during the second hour. I was pleasantly surprised.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great show last night and have high hopes for another one tonight. Perhaps Jeff Corwin can find some of those Titsi (sp?) Monkeys for AC to interact with rather than the frogs. I have to admit, though, that was one biggin frog!!!

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, he seems to LIKE monkeys and gorillas and the like. But not pandas or anything cute. Or frogs. I mentioned the frog thing to my sister and she said she hates frogs too- they're slimy looking and they jump. Okaaaaay..... now, if Jeff had pulled out a great big SPIDER or something, I would have been screaming and running away from my TV.....

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@sharla....i missed the frog incident!! could you tell me where i could see the clip?

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure. On the CNN homepage, there is a link that says "more CNN.com video"- it's in the "Watch videos" section right there on the top. The video in question was posted 2-14 and is called "Dying Planet". Or, of course, you could just click here :)

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@eliza- I was probably distracted by 2nd hour -) I got a kick out of watching the whole dialog. Ed didn't go unnoticed on blogs -)

7:55 PM  
Blogger aries moon said...

The information about the various species living in the rainforest was interesting--I had no idea. Anderson and Jeff Corwin were a hoot.

Yay for the release of the hostages in Nigeria, that was great news. I like Jeff Koinange.

And Ed Henry's challenge to Tony Snow made my day.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com