Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Iraq Study Group, A Family Stranded And Freezing, And More Spy Stuff (Tuesday's First Hour)

Hi everyone. I actually missed the first few minutes of the show tonight because I was chasing a mouse. I know that sounds like a unique take on the dog ate my homework excuse, but it's true. After dealing with spiders a couple of weeks ago, now I have a mouse. At least it's cute because it was too fast for me. So now I've got an extra roommate until I get some traps. Anyway, after giving up on the mouse I turned on the tv to find Anderson in the same tie as last night. He also seemed pretty worked up, but the talk was about Iraq, so it's no wonder. So the first full piece I got to see was from John King on the Baker Commission report. We basically already know what's in it and at this point it's clear there will be no silver bullet. James Baker himself has great credentials as a diplomat, but he's not superman. Iraq could really use a superhero right now.

On now to a Gary Tuchman piece on the democratic plans for Iraq, which mostly center on time tables to pressure Iraqis to step up. To discuss Iraq, we have John King, Steven Cook, and James Carafano. The latter two were advisors to the Baker Commission panel. James thinks things will be much worse if we pull out. Anderson notes that they've been talking about training Iraqi forces for years now, but things never seem to change. Steven thinks we shouldn't even be talking about withdrawling because we don't have enough troops there now.

Moving on to a Tom Foreman piece that I'm pretty sure I'm seen before, but maybe not on 360. Tom gives us some sobering math. Basically even if we only had 15 troops to provide security for every 1000 Iraqis, we would need about 400,000 troops. That would mean doubling the number of troops we have over there and we just don't have them. Maybe we have 20,000 to 30,000, but that won't do much. The draft has been mentioned, but it's political suicide and would most likely never pass. After the piece we go back to the live panel and James states that it's not the quantity of the troops that's the problem, but rather the quality of what they're doing. That sounds like BS to me and sort of like he's blaming the troops. Steven notes that while everyone keeps saying the US needs to pressure the Iraqis to stand up, the US actually put Iraq in the situation it's in, so the troops need to stay. Anderson then gets kind of upset as he recounts all the people that told him over these past years that they had enough troops. "Were they all just lying?" he asks. Yes! Yes! OMG, yes! But major kudos to you Mr. Cooper for using the "L" word. John King then gives us a devastating little recap of everything this war has cost us.

Transitioning now to a Thelma Gutierrez piece on a family that got stranded in the snowy mountains of Oregon for nine days. The mom and two young girls were found still in the car and they're okay, but the dad, James Kim, went to get help and is still missing. There is now a massive search and rescue effort underway and I really hope they find him alive. Thelma tells us that authorities have found his pants (extra pair) and they're interpreting that as a good sign, thinking that he left them to mark his trail. Let's hope.

Next up we have a Tom Foreman piece on Mario Scaramella, the man Litvinenko had lunch with before he fell ill. Scaramella told the spy that they were both on a hit list and he himself was exposed to Polonium, but he's okay. Some of Scaramella's critics say he is nothing more than a wannabe 007. This intros us into an exclusive interview Matthew Chance had with Scaramella at his hospital bedside. I have to say the man's "uhhhhs" drove me crazy. We all know Anderson has an "uh" problem, but he's got nothing on this guy. Anyway, after seeing the interview I tend to believe his critics. After the piece we have Randi Kaye in studio again to do the headlines. The Shot tonight is from youtube (where else?) and it is an octopus pushing it's way through holes. Apparently students in Bermuda are studying what kind of holes they can push themselves through. Or something. I don't really know. What I do know is that I could say something dirty right now, but I will not. Anderson then ends the hour by talking about this sweepstakes that they're having and I guess I'm suppose to talk about it too since they sent me a news release. So...go to the website and check it out. There. My work here is done. The site actually looks pretty cool, but I haven't had much time to check it out. I did, however, play the quote game and totally rocked, thank you very much. Tonight's show was just meh for me. I'm not all that into the ISG stuff because I honestly don't think it's going to change anything and my interest is starting to wane on the spy mystery. I'm not saying stop covering it, but not so much maybe. B-

Will Bush listen to anything the ISG says? How many days do you think you would survive in the cold?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Bush will listen to the ISG, because I get the feeling he doesn't want anyone telling him what to do. The little that has come out about it, it doesn't give a time table for pulling out, but the Iraq forces are suppose to take more of front roll and our troops are to take on more of a support roll. I just hope they give them a time table for that to happen.

I thought the show was good tonight. A lot of different topics, even though they had more on the poison topic. I have to say Anderson and producers are like a dog with a bone, when it comes to certain topics, IE the poison story, Jon Bennet, John Mark Karr, etc stories. I guess Anderson will be in Washington tonight, so I'm sure most of tonights show will be on the ISG report tonight.

Jan

6:22 AM  
Blogger aries moon said...

Bush listening? Ha! From what I hear he doesn't even listen to his own father's advice. No, he's going to do whatever the heck he wants as we've all seen in the past.

The missing father's body has been found, such awful news, the family looked so happy. The guy that AC interviewed from National Geogrphic said the best thing to do if you're in a situation like that is to stay in the car, which is a good tip but at some point you have to make that decision to go.

It was interesting to watch Anderson last night, he was talking SO fast and seemed a lot more fervent than he has been in weeks. When he used the L-word, it almost seemed like he had his illusions shattered or something! Ah, I'm probably just making too much out of nothing as usual.

Mario Scaramella didn't impress me either, it's always suspect to me when people like that are too willing to talk to the media.

The new AC360 site is pretty cool, but wow, some of the products they sell there--an AC360 fitness kit? A 360 umbrella? Kind of weird....

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eliza,
Did you get a chance to look at the ISG report? Alot of blah blah blah... nothing concrete except a reality check that they need to get the neighbours ( Iran and Syria ) involved. DUHH!!!
You know what this reminds me of? I'm not sure if you've seen this commercial in the States but I think it's a TV ad for an insurance company. This man is sinking in quicksand and the other guys stand aound and basically watch the guy sink deeper and deeper while they philosophically assess the quagmire. Then this other guy comes along and throws him a rope and saves his life.
Gissou

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bush won't listen. He's too conceited and arrogant.

And no, I couldn't survive the cold. I stupidly do not stock my car full of "necessities" for the wintertime.

Nice blog by the way! I finally checked it out! :)

cstkitten

9:25 PM  
Blogger eliza said...

@midnight-It's so sad about that father. I figured the odds weren't good, but he died not even knowing that his family was alive. So tragic.

An AC fitness kit? Oh Good Lord.

@Gissou-No, I'm really pressed for time. And honestly, I probably won't read it because I don't think Bush is going to take its suggestions.

Good analogy with that commerical. Spot on.

@cskitten-Hey you finally made it!

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com