Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Potomac Primaries! Potomac Primaries! Potomac Primaries! (Tuesday's Show)

Edit from Eliza: Hi guys. No, I haven't forgotten about you. I'm just really tired. I'll have Wednesday's and Thursday's reviews up this weekend.

Hi everybody. Well, I have to say, after the excitement of last (Super) Tuesday's primaries and caucuses, today was kind of a let down. Been there and done that on a much bigger scale, you know? But I'm sure everyone would appreciate their chance to vote, so another night of continuous primary coverage it was!. I believe I've noted before that I have issues with CNN's Election Center. All those screens hurt my brain. It's a bit much, is all I'm saying. So I started out watching coverage on MSNBC because their presentation is a little less..."Ah!!!" Of course, then I had to contend with Chris Matthews, who is like an annoying graphic in human form, which I decided is actually worse. Needless to say, I found my way back over to CNN before Anderson Cooper even graced us with his presence.

In all honesty, I really didn't pay much attention to anyone's coverage. It seems Obama and McCain are going home (or to the next campaign stop, anyway) happy tonight because both men swept their respective races in Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. As for the losers, Huckabee's still hanging on with unwarranted optimism and Clinton is looking ahead to Texas and Ohio. Once again, we heard all the candidates speak and though I love to hear from Obama, man, I'm going to have that speech memorized by the time this is all over. And if I hear McCain say "my friends" one more time, I'm probably going to scream. You're not Reagan! I'm surprised he's not getting called on that little pander because I don't think he could get any more insincere about it if he tried. With regards to the coverage, it was pretty much same old, same old. Though I did enjoy the interview with the 21 year old super-delegate. And I hate him. Okay, okay, I don't hate him; I'm totally jealous! Such power! It cracked me up when Anderson Cooper asked him if it was the most interesting race he's ever seen. Of course it is. He's 21!

There was no live blogging tonight because no one (especially him) wanted Anderson's brain to implode from extreme multi-tasking. But you know, now that I think about it, maybe next time Anderson's stuck in the Election Center they should go ahead and do it without him. Blogs have open threads all the time and it would give people an opportunity to chat with each other without having to wade through all the "Anderson, look at me!" type posts. (By the way, what he's doing isn't technically live blogging. Really, it's just chatting. This is live blogging, which would be impossible for him to do. But we'll just overlook the term usage since we love him and all.)

As you can probably tell, I've become a tad obsessed with this blogging stuff. It's just that I'm fascinated by how different news outlets are choosing to embrace new mediums. For example, I was shocked to stumble upon this a few weeks ago. The Nightly News with Brian Williams has a discussion club! I was sooo tempted to join, but I already spend way too much of my free time online. It's very cool though that Brian Williams takes their questions. Anyway, I hope 360 gets the kinks worked out of the blog soon so they can overtake Greta (at least online). The news business is like my fantasy baseball and I want my team to win! Or, you know, I just want actual news to prevail over a perpetual stakeout of Aruba.

Finally, I'm not sure if you've been following the David Shuster "pimping" debacle (see The Huffington Post for a good sum up of the situation with commentary I mostly agree with), but I've been paying pretty close attention. I'm actually not bringing it up to discuss what happened (at least not in this post), but I happened to be reading this blog post about the situation, when something caught my eye (emphasis is mine):
CNN, on the other hand, is straight news. Wolf Blitzer isn't going to give you his opinion on a damn thing, if he has one on anything (I secretly believe that Blitzer is a robot).
Bwah! The belief is widespread! The CNNers can be so mockable sometimes. Anyway, that'll do it. I've lost count on how many more of these primary doohickeys we have left, but it's a long way until November.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris Matthews, who is like an annoying graphic in human form

Truer words have never been spoken.

Anderson almost sounded a little envious of the super-delegate guy, mentioning that they'd drop him like a hot potato as soon as it was all over.

When McCain says "my friends", it kind of creeps me out, not the effect he had in mind I suppose.

Is it wrong to admit that I'd love a personal reply from Anderson on the live blogging thing? It seems like no matter how you pose your question to him, it will still come off like a "look at me AC!" type comment and that bugs me. I do agree that the live blogging should happen regardless of Anderson's ability to participate.

7:08 PM  
Blogger eliza said...

@feedee-The perfect word to describe Matthews is "insufferable." Did you hear what he said about about listening to Obama speak? Apparently it sent a thrill up his leg. Seriously, that's what he said. *shudders*

Yes, Anderson did sound a little envious, but what political junkie wouldn't be?

No, it's not wrong to hope for a personal reply from Anderson; I'd love one too. I think if you have a specific question to ask him related to their coverage of the topic at hand, it doesn't come off as "look at me!" But a lot of the questions are either something the commenter could find out on their own or it's something that's just cringeworthy. Tonight's chat (Wednesday) got kind of fluffy. But I think everyone's still getting used to it.

1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com