News You Might Have Missed
If your only source of news this past OJ-filled week was 360, well, you missed almost everything.
- Will the confirmation hearing include a memory test this time? Bush nominates Michael Mukasey to replace Alberto Gonzales as Attorney General.
- Continuing to win hearts and minds. Blackwater security contractors kill civilians in a Baghdad street battle.
- Don't mess with Myanmar Monks. Vandalizing shops, taking officials hostage, and threatening a boycott are some of the ways Monks are currently fighting back against the repressive Myanmar regime.
- Only 22? "Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) released its third annual report on the most corrupt members of Congress entitled Beyond DeLay: The 22 Most Corrupt Members of Congress (and two to watch)." Ted Stevens (R) and William Jefferson (D)? Shockers.
- Sorry, D.C. Maybe next time. A vote to give D.C. residents congressional representation failed to get the 60 votes needed to overcome a filibuster.
- But the surge is working! All land travel outside the green zone suspended for U.S. diplomats and other civilian officials.
- Lady Liberty still waits for her soul. GOP blocks the restoration of habeas corpus.
- They probably didn't want more time with their families anyway. The Webb amendment would have guaranteed equal time at home for troops compared to time deployed, but it failed to garner enough votes in the senate.
- Nobody say the "R" word. Federal Reserve cuts interest rate for the first time in four years.
- Huh, weird. Meteorite crashes into Peru and makes people sick.
- Oh, Maryland. The state's highest court has rejected same-sex marriage.
- He's alive! Bush butchers a speech so badly that the Nelson Mandela Foundation has to reassure people the former South African president is still alive. (Okay, I'm really only adding this one because it's hilarious.)
- Orwell would be proud. Airlines are collecting data on you and submitting it to the government-including what book you read on the plane.
- See, he really is Darth Vader. Cheney thought about asking Israel to strike Iran to get them to strike back.