Friday, September 03, 2010

Jan Brewer Is So Done With That Debating Thing, More On The Eddie Bernice Johnson Nepotism Scandal, And An Interview With Andre Agassi

Hi everyone. I'm not a big fan of blogging on Fridays, but I figured what the hell. I can squeeze out a few bullet points for you. Enjoy!
  • After Governor Jan Brewer's Opening Statement Of Epic Awkwardness, she has decided that debates are totally dead to her. When it comes to her and debates, the relationship is ovah! As it turns out, the only reason she even did that debate was for money. Sadly, I am not joking.
  • In Brewer's defense, the hilarity of having to thank, "Larry, Barry and Terry," might have tripped up anyone. (I laugh every time!)
  • Unfortunately for the governor, her fail did not end with the debate. ZOMG, reporters! Doing their jobs!
  • Nice clip action from the 360 kids regarding Brewer's past statements on the headless bodies. Clearly, despite her current clarification, she was initially implying they were found in Arizona.
  • Anderson Cooper: "All right. She didn't actually say the word Arizona, but she didn't say the anchor was wrong when he said Arizona. And she was talking about American law enforcement finding beheaded people in the desert. Sounds like she was talking about Arizona." Perfection. Props for calling a spade a spade.
  • The interview with Steve Kornacki of Salon.com was a nice change of pace from CNN's roster of political pundits (and yay for Salon.com!). But I found it kind of strange that when discussing the tendency of politicians to employ anti-media strategies, neither man mentioned Sharron Angle, or the biggie: Sarah Palin.
  • In fact, it's kind of weird that 360 is now all over Brewer, yet hasn't touched on Angle at all--at least that I've seen. There's a small part of me that's wondering if they decided to do this Brewer coverage because of their reporting on Eddie Bernice Johnson (balance, baby!). Then again, that was a pretty choice Brewer clip, and you know cable news is incapable of passing up good video. I think it might actually be the law.
  • To be clear, all these stories are legitimate. But the show can't cover everything, so sometimes one ponders the choices.
  • Speaking of Eddie Bernice Johnson, last night they talked to the congresswoman herself, tonight they talked with Todd Gillman of "The Dallas Morning News," scandal breaker. The interview is below. I loved his story about how he called out Johnson for taking questions from her own staff.

  • Your humble blogger's baseball team, the St. Louis Cardinals, were playing at the same time of the broadcast, but I thought to myself, "I'm a mad multi-tasker, I got this." And then the universe was like, "Ha ha ha. Eliza you're being adorable." Because at about this time in the show, I happened to turn my head...and came face to face with a HUGE ASS SPIDER that was dropping from the ceiling. After the subsequent hysterical episode involving a half a can of bug spray and psychotic shoe-pounding, I realized I had missed not only the baseball win, but a good chunk of the next segment. Luckily, God invented the interwebs. You never know when there's going to be a spider attack.
  • BIG. 360. INTERVIEW! Anderson talked with tennis star Andre Agassi, who as it turns out, initially hated tennis with a fiery passion, thanks to a father who intensely imposed the lifestyle on him. My only knowledge of Agassi before this broadcast (besides the tennis) was that he was at one time married to Brooke Shields. I really hate it when parents do this to their kids. Tonight's interview made me think of this piece I read a few months ago, which mentions Agassi, but mostly focuses on Tiger Woods.
  • Aw to Anderson mentioning his mother reading his book and only saying nice things. Actually, aw to supportive mothers everywhere. The first time I was ever published, I think my mom gave a copy to half the people she knows, and made the other half read her copy--ahem, one of her copies.



  • Another great piece from Sanjay Gupta. Props to 360 for keeping up with the Pakistan coverage.

  • Aw, I guess Isha Sesay has left us. Sad face. Er, uh, no offense to Tom Foreman.
  • The show was good. This kind of political coverage is SO MUCH BETTER than just throwing out the issues of the day and having whatever pundits are available fill up a panel with speculative discussion. Yay facts! As for Agassi, probably not my first choice, but it was plenty engaging. Anyhoo, I know I have previously promised you two special posts, and I will try to get at least one of them up this weekend. That'll do it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com