Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Republican Incitement Results In Threats Against Democrats, Continuation Of Kids In Peril Series On Obesity, And Juarez Mayor Targeted

Hi everyone. We're kicking things off with the news that things are getting ugly out there over the passage of health care reform. The "breaking news" graphic has returned to assault our senses, even though I'm pretty sure the majority of the information we're being told is at least hours old. *Sigh*

From Dana Bash we learn that Democratic lawmakers have been meeting over safety concerns due to a series of threats. Examples: vile phone messages left for Bart Stupak, a brick through the window of Louise Slaughter's office, and various other scary incidents. Why is this happening? Well, as I've said before, look to the leaders.

Dana notes that right now Sarah Palin has a map on her Facebook page that identifies top political targets with rifle crosshairs. In her piece, she also mentions blogger Mike Vanderboegh, who is encouraging readers to break windows. Not to mention Steve King, a congressman who was caught on video egging on protesters by slapping a picture of Pelosi. When Dana tried to ask him about it, he brushed it off as an exaggeration.

Minority leader Boehner wouldn't talk to Dana, but he did put out a statement that very weakly called the threats unacceptable. Not good enough. He needs to get his own people under control (King, Bachman, etc., I'm looking at you). This is not a game.

After Dana's piece, she sticks around and we're also joined by centrist guy John Avlon. Anderson Cooper points out that Steve King was simply factually incorrect when he stated that it was an exaggeration he was inciting protesters, given that he's on tape slapping the picture. Exactly. They talk about Palin, Mike Vanderboegh, and militia movements. To John's credit, he characterizes this as clear incitement.

For the Republican's part, Dana tells us that GOPers are crying foul because House majority whip Jim Clyburn said Republicans who don't condemn these threats are aiding and abetting terrorism. Personally, I wouldn't have called it that for this very reason--Republicans always project onto the Democrats. But if families of representatives are scared to answer their phones or let their kids walk outside their house, what exactly do you call that?

Watching these first couple segments, I was ready and waiting with my can of whoop-ass, but luckily it remained unopened. The 360 kids didn't do a bad job with this like I feared they would, though admittedly Rachel Maddow's segments were better. As I've previously stated, this isn't new. We shouldn't be shocked this is happening. There has been a history of incitement by Republicans that has been clearly evident since the 2008 campaign. Surely we haven't forgotten already.

At the time, I was very frustrated with the coverage on the show, and particularly with Anderson himself. I know at this point I must sound like a broken record when it comes to my fake balance pet peeve, but to use it with regards to violence is particularly egregious. Thankfully we didn't get too much of that tonight. To try to equate the two parties on this subject would be ridiculous. And dangerous.

There will always be crazies, but the majority of the current problem can attributed to Republican/conservative leadership, both in Congress and in the media. These people need to be called out. Unfortunately for us, instead of holding the inciters accountable, CNN has decided to hire them. Your media at work.

Transitioning now to Anderson at the Magic Wall to break down polling. It seems that all demographics except for seniors overwhelming think the passage of health care reform was a good thing. Hm. Our anchor implies it's because of Medicare (probably mostly because he has a related piece to segue into). Call me ageist, but has anyone considered it's because seniors are often more easily manipulable? I know your grandma sends you all those false email forwards. I mean, the former VP candidate did kind of imply the bill would kill them.

I'm running out of time, so I'm going to kick it into high gear now. Next up, we have a Tom Foreman piece on a badly needed Medicare fix that was not included in the bill, though it has been promised. Then we have a Sanjay Gupta piece on the lack of primary doctors in this country. We've actually already seen this (cheaters!), but it is updated to include info from the legislation.

Then we continue with the Kids in Peril series on obesity. In another Sanjay piece, the good doctor goes to the home of Tiger Green, a 12-year-old who weighs 250 pounds. He used to eat a steak and drink five Sprites for lunch. Yes, his parents are obese as well. Now Tiger is on a diet and has already lost 30 pounds, which is good. Most notable about this piece is they take the kid to a hospital and do all these scans, and then proceed to surely scare the crap out of him by showing him all the stuff that's wrong. I could see doing that with an adult, but a 12-year-old?

Finally, Gary Tuchman is still reporting from Juarez, and his piece tonight focuses on Mayor Jose Reyes Ferriz, law and order badass. See, the mayor has made it his mission to go after the drug cartels, and they in turn, well, are not pleased. He's been threatened with assassination, emphasized with a bloody animal head. Yeesh. But the mayor is not backing down. He has, however, hired mad security, yo. I hope they're able to protect him. I'm pretty sure we've seen this guy profiled before--either by Michael Ware or Anderson. By the way, where is Michael Ware?

The "shot" tonight is a Japanese reporter willingly allowing herself to be tasered. This is so obviously just an excuse to yet again play that video of Rick Sanchez. And I fully support that. Because it's never not funny. Speaking of funny, you know how anchors--specifically our anchor--will often making generic comments just to end a conversation/segment. How many times have we heard Anderson call something "fascinating"? He cannot always be that fascinated!

Well! After playing the clip where Rick says, "It hurts. It's painful. But no one's dead," Anderson quips: "But no one's dead. There you go. Something to think about as you go to bed tonight." Um, what? The truly hilarious part is directly after, when he repeats what he's just said, obviously realizing how bad it sounds, all the while knowing the broadcast is over and this awkward moment of hilarity is what he is leaving the viewers. His banter partner for the night, Christine Romans, was left laughing hysterically, as was I. The perils of going off prompter. Good times.

The show was okay. Nothing horrible; nothing extremely impressive. That'll do it.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Sammy said...

The violent threat from the tea party make me rage. Really? they are targeting children for God sake.

I hate the breaking news banner. MSNBC already reported these incidents since Monday. Rachel Maddow had done three segments on this. Keith Olbermann already special commented. He may be a wing nut (seriously, I hate that book)but he willing to call out those people for what they really are.

And back to our anchor. The fake balance stuff is fading a bit. Because, really, it's the democrats that being threaten here, how are they suppose to make it balance? But never underestimate CNN ability to mess things up.

The shot was amazing. The silver fox and his random sense of humor. I couldn't stop watching that clip. And yes, I thought about it before I went to bed. Nightmare inducing materials.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dana Bash missed the opportunity to tell Steve King that they had the VIDEO of him "slapping" Nancy Pelosi's picture and Anderson probably should've said that King's denial of it was a LIE instead of just "factually incorrect", don't let them off so easy. I've seen AC use the word lie in other circumstances and this certainly warranted it. It reminded me of the time when John McCain completely flipped-flop on his DADT stance but AC and Gergen didn't term it that way, but said something about how he was "sincere" in what he believed. If President Obama had've done what McCain did, they would've definitely said he flip-flopped. I'm not a fan of that term, but they shouldn't reserve it just for Dems. Sometimes I think they are overly concerned about offending Republicans, but I hope some of that's changing.

The Shot was simply hysterical and I'm glad I have it on tape--I've been watching Anderson for many years and what he did last night in the Shot is one of the reasons why I got hooked, it was all perfect, AC slowly realizing what he'd said, Christine's reaction and the guys laughing in the background, great stuff.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dana Bash missed the opportunity to tell Steve King that they had the VIDEO of him "slapping" Nancy Pelosi's picture and Anderson probably should've said that King's denial of it was a LIE instead of just "factually incorrect", don't let them off so easy. I've seen AC use the word lie in other circumstances and this certainly warranted it. It reminded me of the time when John McCain completely flipped-flop on his DADT stance but AC and Gergen didn't term it that way, but said something about how he was "sincere" in what he believed. If President Obama had've done what McCain did, they would've definitely said he flip-flopped. I'm not a fan of that term, but they shouldn't reserve it just for Dems. Sometimes I think they are overly concerned about offending Republicans, but I hope some of that's changing.

The Shot was simply hysterical and I'm glad I have it on tape--I've been watching Anderson for many years and what he did last night in the Shot is one of the reasons why I got hooked, it was all perfect, AC slowly realizing what he'd said, Christine's reaction and the guys laughing in the background, great stuff.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for the double post!

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,
I still do not comprehend (or at least I missed it) anyones' thoughts and feelings on how Anderson stated weeks ago on "how Haitians are dying stupid deaths". Whaaat? How can Anderson not speak to this comment...are my husband and myself the only ones to be blown away by this flagrant lack of compassion on Andersons' part? I hope no Haitian or visiter buried under twisted steel and concrete facing their tortuous deaths heard this. I felt like I just took a punch to my stomach. I know Andersons' mission is to keeping them honest, however Anderson needs to address this horrible statement.

8:20 AM  
Blogger eliza said...

@Sammy: I've missed some of 360 lately, but from the snippets I've seen it looks like they might be back on the balance train with regards to the threatening incidents. I hope my impression is wrong. Ugh.

That "shot" was awesome. The silver fox needs to think before speaking. ;)

@anonymous: You're right. Anderson should have said lie. The guy is on tape inciting. There's no wiggle room there.

@anonymous 8:20 AM: First of all, who's Lisa? And second, I don't really understand why you're so upset. There's nothing uncompassionate about what Anderson said and I'm sure most Haitians agree with him. Someone dying from a perfectly treatable infection IS a stupid death.

Perhaps you're misunderstanding his entire statement. He's not calling the Haitians stupid, or belittling them, or dismissing what they're going through in any way. He was simply stating that a lot of those deaths did not have to happen. They could have been prevented, and the fact that they weren't is stupid.

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Eliza, being new to this blog I simply missed your correct name. The incident I feel upset about happened within the first or second day of Haitis' earthquake. I am not mistaken by Andersons' tone or lack of compassion. The individuals I am speaking about were not pulled from the twisted concrete and rubble. I know the difference from dying of infection which I know can be taken care of with antibiotics in many cases and amputations. No, I am referring to a blatant remark said I know in Anderson's frustration and stress. I get that. What I am referring to is like I said previously....his commment lacking compassion when people were still in the process of dying, still within their concrete tombs with no way out. How can these deaths be labeled "stupid"? These people never would of had the chance to be pulled out from under the rubble-just too many people to get to in time. I stand by my opinion. RM Vitacco

6:22 AM  
Blogger eliza said...

That's okay, I thought that might have been the case. However, I still don't understand your main point. Anderson never stated all the deaths were stupid and I'm sure he knows full well that many could not have been prevented. He was specifically talking about those people who died because of a lack of medical care. Watch this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OUlzT2NlME

I don't understand how anyone would have a problem with what he said.

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com