Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Our Wounded Warriors, Interviews with McCain And Clinton, And, Uh, Mountain Lion Attacks (Monday's First Hour)

Hi everybody. Is it spring yet? I can't take this cold. Anyway, Anderson is back and tonight we are in San Antonio to cover the opening of the Center For The Intrepid at the Brooke Army Medical Center, which is a state of the art facility for our wounded service members. In his rapid fire style, Anderson gives us a preview of what is to come and then we move into interviews he did with John McCain and Hillary Clinton. I usually hate the way 360 chops up their interviews, but actually this section coming up is kind of interesting. Each interview was done separately, but we're shown McCain and Clinton's answers to the same question back to back. Anderson begins by asking about the big battle in Najaf that just occurred. McCain thinks it was good it was a preemptive strike, but other than that really doesn't know what to think about it. Well, at least he's honest. However, Clinton comes to the question locked and loaded with talking points, talking about how we can't escalate the war and blah, blah, blah. Anderson brings up the point that Cheney has said he trusts Maliki and asks them each if they do too. McCain is disappointed with Maliki, which I guess isn't really a definitive answer-not like Clinton gives anyway. She flat out says she doesn't trust Maliki and actually while we're on the subject, she doesn't trust Cheney either. Ha! High five sister!

Up next we have a piece from Anderson that profiles Master Sergeant Daniel Robles and Sergeant Nathan Reed, both amputees. There's not really much I can say here. You kind of need to see the piece. We're then shown a video game type thing that helps the amputees learn to shoot their guns again. And check it out, it's Anderson with a gun! Oh my. Well that was quite a surprising little fangirl moment for me seeing as though I don't like guns. I wonder what he was thinking while holding it, "The Paris Hilton of news my ass!"

On now to some more of the interview, this time just with Clinton. Anderson wants to know why private funds are needed for this kind of hospital and Clinton admits it should not relieve the government of responsibility. Then Anderson refers to a previous Clinton comment about how Bush needs to extricate the troops before he leaves office and Anderson wants to know if she thinks the troops should be out of Iraq by 2008. Clinton hems and haws and to his credit, Anderson presses, but we still don't really get anything. Anderson then asks what the point is to her troop cap proposal and whether those kind of things send a mixed signal to the troops. Clinton doesn't think it does because she's talked to the troops and I guess they're on board. Funny thing is, I'm betting McCain will say he's talked to the troops too and they're on board with him. It must be fun to be stuck in a hell hole AND get continously exploited by both political parties. Anderson brings up the possibility of a genocidal bloodbath if we pull out and Clinton again spews a mouth full of talking points. Maliki is then brought up again and Anderson mentions how Bush thought he could see into Putin's soul or something. He wants to know if she thinks Bush is a good judge of character and Clinton is all like, "um, no." You forgot your favorite, Anderson. How could you not give Brownie a mention? This was a pretty good interview, though the answers were frustrating.

Okay, now it's McCain's turn. Anderson wonders if the full cost of this war is really known, especially in regards to those suffering from PTSD. Dude, I can totally take this one. No, no the full cost of the war is not even close to being known or understood. We will be dealing with this for GENERATIONS and things will come up that we can't even imagine right now. And another thing, about half of Iraq is under 18 and those kids have seen things that most of us have only seen on television. They will grow up some day and they will not forget what's been done to them. We may not pay for Iraq next year or even 10 years from now, but one day we will-whether we deserve it or not. And that's what we're leaving our children, along with a whole bunch of other crap.

Back in the interview Anderson mentions the theory that if we pull out the war can then just be between Shia and Sunni since they're already fighting anyway. McCain gives Anderson the most condescending smile ever and states that that would bring on full genocide. Anderson asks if McCain thinks a troop cap makes sense and he doesn't, but he can't tell us how many more troops are needed. Hmm, well Bush seems to know. You mean 21,500 won't do the trick? Gasp. At least McCain doesn't agree with Cheney that we've had enormous successes. Although I have to wonder why Anderson didn't ask McCain if he thought Cheney was delusional. He posed that question to Clinton, so it only seems fair.

Next up Anderson interviews two soldiers who will be using the facility: Corporal Aaron Mankin and Staff Sergeant Daniel Barnes. Mankin suffered injuries and burns from an IED and Barnes lost his legs to an RPG. This interview kind of acts as a PR commercial for the facility-it sounds like a nice place. Mankin is really optimistic. I mean, seriously gung ho. He could probably totally sell me something right now. After this interview Anderson interviews Bill White, one of the men behind the facility. Anderson wants to know why the government didn't help. Uh, because they suck? Bill is a little more generous, stating that they wanted to do this themselves to let the soldiers know the American people cared. Anderson then keeps at the government angle a little more, which I appreciate. I mean, they SHOULD be doing more.

Transitioning now to a Chris Lawrence piece on that guy who got attacked by a mountain lion. He's 70 and his 65 year old wife fought him off. Don't mess with older ladies man. They have big heavy purses due to years of collecting crap. Anyway, I don't know what the point is here, so allow me take this time to ask CNN a favor. Could you possibly leave up the names of the people being interviewed for more than like two seconds please? I blink and I miss it. I mean, you leave your ugly graphics up the whole show, I don't know what the problem is here. Thank you very much. Pretty good show tonight. B+

So what did you guys think about Hillary and McCain? And Anderson with a gun!?

Screencaps by liberation337.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This show was awesome. I don't think it matters what your politics are, this show was really about the center and the people that are there or the ones that, god forbid, will be going to be going through it in the future.

I think both Clinton and McCain did a fairly good job answering Anderson's questions. I have to agree with Clinton that the Iran situation is "dangerous game of chicken" being played. I also agree that you have to have discussions with your adversaries,

I really laughed at Anderson shooting the gun. For the seriousness of the show, I think it was an amusing touch to the show.

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Anderson with a gun. I nearly wet my pants. I love guns. I was really mad when I had to sell my arsenal when I moved to New Pansy I mean New Jersey. Now I have a baseball bat, how disappointing is that?

One of the big problems with politicians is they try so hard to make friends with everyone. I wish they would just say what they mean, because then we would know what was up! And then not be surprised when they go and do what they actually want, which is what The Shrub went and did.

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I wonder what he was thinking while holding it, "The Paris Hilton of news my ass!"


Ahahahhahah! That line was priceless! Awesome review tonight, It really was a very good show.

10:31 AM  
Blogger eliza said...

@jan-yeah, it's shows like these that pretty much make me hate both parties. I just hope those guys that are that positive now will still be that way 10 years from now after a lot of the help goes away.

@sharla-hey man, don't knock a baseball bat. Sometimes all it takes is beating the crap out of something (or somebody). Look at the lady who beat up that mountain lion. :)

@robyn-you like'd that line, did ya? LOL I wanted to address the situation without being too off topic. You know, as soon as Anderson made his comment after the madrassa story I knew Fox was going to after him, but I had no idea they'd actually run a print ad in the trades!

It's all good though because Fox tried to get Keith Olbermann fired and it increased his ratings. Go on with your bad self, Anderson!

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@eliza--I agree, it was a little too much like a promo for the center. No wonder one of those two injured soldiers said he'll go into media relations or pr. I would expect Anderson would concentrate more on the problems and challenges that our amputees face but I guess Hillary and McCain interviews took most of the time and effort. Anderson with a gun was not all that necessary but I had fun watching it -). Well, the last time I've seen Gary Tuchman with a gun, I guess they all love it -lol

1:28 PM  
Blogger MediaDoc said...

Hi there, Eliza I thought exactly the same with the shooting gallery, in his mind the bull eye was FNC, and I agree with Ivy too, it had the feeling of another VNR.

2:32 PM  
Blogger eliza said...

@ivy-Gary with a gun?! How did I miss that?

I'm glad someone agrees about it being like a promo because now I don't feel like such a jerk. All the happy happy joy joy stuff just really makes me uncomfortable because I know that there's a good chance years down the road these guys are going to be abandoned. It's like when I was watching Bush give his NOLA speech-I knew in the future there was disappointment.

I know when I watch these kind of specials I'm suppose to set aside the politics and all that crap, but I just...can't. Because you know what? They shouldn't be injured like that in the first place because we should have never gone into Iraq. I can't forget my country's betrayal of them just like I can't forget the betrayal of the people of NOLA.

Another problem I have is with the whole issue of "heroes." It's hard to explain, but basically I think the term is used much too loosely. I'm not saying all our soldiers aren't brave and sacrificing, but I have high standards for that term. And I'm not just talking about in terms of the military. I hope that all made sense.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@eliza -- ATA about the term "heroes". Just rubs me the wrong way when somebody uses that term for the whole military or for the whole anything else.

I forgot what Gary's report was about (not such a long time ago) but I remember that he showed the target practice and demonstrated some shooting skills himself -lol Which totally made me crack up, and I thought then it would be funny to see Anderson with a gun, knowing his love for all kinds of weapon. Yesterday it was a good way for Anderson to relieve the stress! From being called Paris and fabricated journalist and what he'll be called next-lol

I thought yesterday the tone of the show was waaay to sugary for the topic that was discussed.
Though the center sure sounds optimistic loosing legs or arms does not, and these people must have tremendous physical and psychological challenges. Not talking about that part is showing the picture from only one angle, and not 360 degrees what Anderson claims his show does. To be fair they did have a show on Veterans day that did talk about the real difficulties our soldiers with injuries face. What have changed?

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to the 360 blog, Anderson's interview with Michael Ware will be aired in full tonight!

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Channelling what Ivy said, I'd love to see a follow-up story and see how well the Center and Fisher Houses are doing in about 6 months.

I've had a good experience with Fisher Houses, my dad had open heart surgery and the heart valve replacement. Both times we started out stay in a FS, and they are a great bunch of people who realize the family is a big part of the soldier's path to recovery.

Eliza, I love your blog and appreciate all the hard work you put into it!

As for the gun, one word...wow!

8:48 PM  
Blogger aries moon said...

Another problem I have is with the whole issue of "heroes." It's hard to explain, but basically I think the term is used much too loosely.

Agree! Not too many people come out and say this, but this has bothered me for a while too.

I was also glad to hear Hillary say she didn't trust Cheney, that made the interview for me.

Anderson with a gun, never expected to see that, and it was interesting to say the least, he's pretty good with it too evidently.

9:57 PM  
Blogger MediaDoc said...

In my opinion the missed the mark of the real story: why the private sector had to finance this kind of place, particularly when companies like Halliburton are profiting like mad cows for the war.
The "heroes" thing is just being politically correct, they don't want to repeat the Vietnam experience with the veterans.

10:09 PM  
Blogger eliza said...

@sfacfan-thanks! Glad to hear you had a good experience with FS.

@midnight-I know. Nobody hardly ever comes out and says that. I didn't even want to say it in my comment, but it bugs me. I just think when we're stuck in that mindset it makes it hard to REALLY debate the war.

@christiane-I'd love to see 360 keeping Halliburton honest, but I won't hold my breath.

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@chris -- whatever you (or we) didn't notice the right-wingers did -- that AC didn't miss the real story and they are happy to slam him. Read this NewBusters post.

10:54 AM  
Blogger eliza said...

@ivy-the right is more than happy to slam anyone they can. The whole "why didn't the government do this" stood out to me too and I knew people wouldn't like it, but honestly I thought they'd be too distracted still calling him Paris Hilton. I guess even wingers can multi-task. Heh.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com