Saturday, January 27, 2007

More Afghanistan, Libby Trial, Lebanon, Increased Nicotine In Cigarettes, Late Justice, And A Murdered Family (Thursday's Second Hour)

Hi guys. We kick off the hour with Peter Bergen again for more talk about the situation in Afghanistan. Peter notes that usually the fighting pretty much stops in the winter, but not this time. This is a make or break year for the country in his opinion. He thinks the additional troops will help, but what Afghanistan really needs is a political solution. I've heard that one before. I won't hold my breath, but they still like us, so I will be crossing my fingers. After Peter, Anderson reads us an email he got from the father of one of the soldiers that they met when they were in Afghanistan last September. The letter says that the troops are burned out and the father is very angry that his son now has to turn around and go right back. I don't blame him. This then intros us nicely into a repeat Anderson piece from when he was in the country.

Transitioning now to a Kelli Arena piece on the Scooter Libby trial. Cheney's communication chief, Cathie Martin, recently testified that the VP's office was obsessed with gathering information on Joe Wilson. She told of talking points and message control, which is all very different than the Libby defense that he just got caught up in other issues and really didn't pay any attention to Wilson. In the piece we're told that, "Wilson claimed that he was sent on his mission by the vice president." This is untrue and I'm tired of reporters being lazy when it comes to this whole story. Honestly 360 hasn't shown that much appetite for Plamegate. I don't know why. It's a huge story. Those interested should check out MSNBC. David Shuster has pretty much been on it since the beginning.

To discuss the trial we're joined by Jeffrey Toobin and Court TV's Savannah Guthrie, who was in the court room. Hey, who are you and what have you done with Lisa Bloom? Just when she was starting to grow on me. Anderson wants to know if Libby will testify. Toobin's not sure, but notes that if he does take the stand then prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald will get to have a go at him. Oh, that could be fun. Unless of course he trails off into another baseball metaphor. Seriously Fitz, what was that all about? Anderson notes that Libby claims he's being scapegoated, but wonders how that's even relevant. Savannah doesn't think it is relevant. Bummer for Libby. I guess we'll just have to see what happens. Maybe we will have a Merry Fitzmas after all. After this Anderson informs us that they're getting a ton of email telling them that the bluezones.com site is down. He then spells out the site for us and quite frankly seems a little annoyed. I guess he's a little sensitive about his inbox.

Transitioning now to a Nic Robertson piece on what's up in Lebanon. What's up is trouble. Hezbollah has been organizing huge street protests and massive strikes to urge for the prime minister's resignation. The situation today started when students loyal to the government clashed with Hezbollah supporters. The violence then spread out among Beirut. Rocks were thrown and cars set on fire. Soldiers tried to keep the peace, but in the end three were dead and 150 injured. After the piece Nic joins us live and we're informed it was silent all night, as people seemed to observe the curfew. That's good I guess. Hopefully things will improve, but it's really looking like that government is going to fall.

Next up we have a Drew Griffin "Keeping Them Honest" piece. Drew is taking a break from pensions to bring us the news that tobacco companies have been increasing the Nicotine in cigarettes in order to increase addiction. I'm confused. Didn't this story break like a month ago? Anyway, Drew points out that we also need to keep ourselves honest and admit that we all know that cigarettes are bad. Well, yeah, duh. I have sympathy for addiction, but honestly why the hell does anyone in their right mind start in the first place? My grandfather died from lung cancer, but when he started smoking no one knew they were bad. Nobody has that excuse anymore. I knew back in elementary school to turn down cigarettes, so I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. What's interesting is that what's actually inside a cigarette is not regulated at all, so the cigarette companies can do whatever the hell they want when it comes to contents. So now some people want to get the insides regulated by the FDA. The libertarians probably won't like that.

On now to a Rusty Dornin piece about the 43 year old murders of Charles Moore and another African American teen that were thought to have been commited by James Seale and Charles Edwards, reputed members of the Ku Klux Klan. The two teens were picked up by the white men, tied to a tree and beaten, and then thrown in the Mississippi river. Seale and Edwards were initally taken into custody, but then released. Throughout all these years Thomas Moore has been fighting for justice for his brother and recently with the help of a documentary filmmaker and reporter, the case got some press and James Seale was just arrested yesterday. Thomas and CBC documentary filmmaker David Ridgen then join us to talk about the case. David notes that when it comes to these cases you don't need a lot of people to get the ball rolling, just a lot of will.

The final piece tonight is from Randi Kaye on a family of five that was murdered as they slept. What makes this case unique is that the crime was covered up by setting fire to the house. Even the car was set ablaze. There aren't many details yet, but apparently the dad was using and dealing crack. As we go out for the night we get an update on the mysterious panda Shot. Emailers have informed 360 that the show is called "Shimora's Zoo." Okay then. That'll do it. I'll have Friday's show up sometime later this weekend.

Have you been following Plamegate? Are you a smoker?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not following Plamegate. And I used to smoke. Take it from me- smoking is gross and horribly addictive. Even now, I feel the crave occasionally. And then I will wish that smoking wasn't bad for you and made you smell like an ashtray because the urges (even after years) can be really strong. It sucks. But I like now that I can breathe and I'm not stinky :)

I'd say Anderson looked annoyed at the emails about the bluezones site being down because he's annoyed that people seem to care about the stupid stuff and not the stuff that matters :) And if we're talking about blog comments here, a blog that is also near and dear to my heart is Dr. Gupta's blog. Every single one of my comments makes it on, go figure.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I continue to be amazed at the wonderful work you put into this blog. Please keep this blog going. I really enjoy visiting. No matter what some people say, or how 360 does in ratings, I still think it is an excellent news program. I live in Canada, so of course, I don't just rely on CNN for news. But 360 is truly an excellent program, especially when it comes to international news (e.g. wars) and social issues.

Thanks for your great work on this blog!

12:20 AM  
Blogger eliza said...

@sharla-I keep forgetting about Sanjay's blog. I left a comment when he first got it about how excited I was he was blogging too...and then I never went back. LOL Oh well.

@patty-thank you very much for your kind words. I agree that when 360 is good, it's really good.

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com