Thursday, February 03, 2011

Anderson Cooper: I don't mind telling you I am a little bit scared

Hey kids. Look at me back so soon! I've been a newsjunkie a very long time and have witnessed many an amazing broadcast, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like the stripped down program we had tonight. Coming at us from an undisclosed location (a phrase I haven't heard this much since Cheney was in office) for their safety, Anderson Cooper kicked things off by explaining the extent to which reporters have been intimidated.

Then, as my heading suggests, he noted that he was a little bit scared about the uncertainty to come, a fact that quite frankly was fairly evident before he even said the words. He has good reason. Anderson and colleagues were attacked yet again today, along with many, many other journalists, and all signs point to tomorrow being possibly worse. I hope not.

I'm very impressed by the dedication of the CNN people on the ground. Katie Couric has gone home, Brian Williams left. I don't begrudge anyone making a decision about their own safety, but you have to respect the journalists who are standing their ground against remarkable resistance to tell this story--a story that may very well change the entire Middle East. Kudos to them. Now let's all pray they, and everyone else, stays safe.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I was so proud of Anderson admitting that he was scared.

Someone is posting somewhere else that Richard Engle of NBC was able to get live pictures, while Anderson was hiding out. Do you know if this is true?

12:03 PM  
Blogger eliza said...

@anonymous: I don't know if that's true. I'm a huge admirer of Richard's as well. Both men are professionals & I'm sure they're both using the best judgment regarding their specific situations. Sounds to me like that person is trying to make a negative insinuation about AC.

1:28 PM  
Blogger EmmKay said...

Richard had live pictures on Wednesday night, but not last night as far as I know. Also, it seems like reporters holed up pretty haphazardly on Wednesday. Just because Richard's location was semi-safe to broadcast from the balcony, that doesn't mean AC's was. You know if they CAN get footage out, they will. I respect their commitment to this.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Eliza, Yes this person says anything negative they can about Anderson. Why they follow them I do not know except this person loves to trash him.

Thank you EmmKay for the information and you are right.

Eliza does a great job on this blog following AC

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com