Friday, March 06, 2009

The Power Of The Situation

Hi everyone. Tonight's 360 was preempted by airings of the Money Summit. I didn't even watch. I've just about given up when it comes to getting my economic news from people on the TeeVee. Guest blogger Arachnae watched one of the previous specials and deemed it, "okay," so there you go.

Earlier in the week, I was doing some channel surfing--something I actually rarely do--and I came across a fascinating documentary on the Sundance Channel called "The Human Behavior Experiments." Pretty much everyone who has taken an Intro to Psychology class is familiar with the infamous Milgram experiment, the Stanford Prison experiment (performed by Philip Zimbardo, and the sad story of Kitty Genovese.

Using old footage and interviews, the documentary relates each case to modern incidents. Most notable is the striking parallels between the Stanford Prison experiment and what occurred at Abu Ghraib prison. We were told that what happened there was the result of a few bad apples; psychology says otherwise.

I thought you might be interested in watching the documentary, so I embedded the whole thing below. Anderson Cooper has often noted that human beings are capable of anything. He's usually referring to the horrors he sees overseas when he says this, but given the right situation, no person or place is immune to awful acts. If you have the time, I definitely recommend that you watch this film.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the impression from the 360 site last night,that there would be a LIVE show,to be followed by the summit afterwards.

Seems as if the producers were blogging last night.
Get this:they are promising big and better things,it seems,and to blog more!
Well,wow,how long will that last,I wonder?I will not hold my breath on that score.
Gee,where were these people,and the moderators,for that matter,when all those 'certain posts' about Anderson surfaced on the Live Blog awhile back?They seemed to sleep right through those.
I am referring to the ones that were later removed.
Not very observant then,were they,and NOW,
they want to grace us with their prescence,and their new thrilling ideas?

Why don't these people come back to earth,and try fixing this show,or they won't need any new things,or ANYTHING!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Sammem said...

It was informative yet depressing, as usual. The wall of doom held up to its name. With an extra pinch of despair.

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com